Community News from St. Marys and area.

New distracted laws in effect

Hefty higher fines Because distracted driving has become the leading cause of death on the roads and highways, the Province of Ontario has introduced new laws to combat this problem. As of January 1, drivers who are caught using their cell phones or other handheld devices will be fined up to $1,000, get three demerit…

The Life of an Active Volunteer

By Christopher Swarthout In 2007, I was lucky enough to join a great group of people called the St. Marys Kinsmen Club. I do believe it was a life-long friend of mine, Ryan Harris, who approached me to “come out to a meeting to see if you like it.”  Well, I happened to love it.…

Close vote for cannabis stores

Not only did people vote but many had strong comments whether or not they wanted cannabis store(s) in town. Some voted with a ‘please” for the Yes vote and we had some “no way” on the No side. But in the end 87 people voted with 52% voting ‘No” and 48% voting “Yes”. It will…

Annual Salvation Army Toy Drive

The Salvation Army Toy Drive took place at Canadian Tire on Saturday, December 8th. Many generous people helped fill the police cruiser 5 times with brand new toys and gifts. Pictured, from left, are Nick Keating (Community Resource Officer) and Detective James Jardine. Nancy Bickell photos

Committee and Board appointments

Council passed the following appointments, which are for four year terms, concurrent with the term of Council Strategic Priorities Committee Mayor Strathdee, Councillor Craigmile, Councillor Edney, Councillor Hainer, Councillor Pridham, Councillor Winter BIA Lanny Hoare, Chantal Lynch, Mary VanDenBerge, Amie Rankin, Emily Lagace, Councillor Winter BIA Public Art Committee Councillor Edney St. Marys Museum Board…

St. Marys Cement announces odour abatement progress

By Jennifer Thorpe St. Marys Cement announced at their fourth quarterly Community Liaison Committee meeting last Thursday that they have identified limestone as the source of odour in their raw material feed. During their search to identify the odour-causing component of their production process they made a significant investment in new technology which required training…

Mayor and Council sworn in

Mayor Al Strathdee and Councillors were sworn in at the Town Hall last Tuesday in front of family and friends. The Invocation was given by Rev. Gwen Ament and the national Anthem was sung by Rachel Strathdee. Warden Walter McKenzie was on hand to bring greetings from the County of Perth and Mayor Robert Wilhelm…