Community News from St. Marys and area.

Ice rescue training at the Quarry

The St. Marys Quarry is more than just Canada’s largest outdoor freshwater swimming pool. On Saturday, January 26, 2019, local firefighters used the Quarry to conduct ice rescue training and pull “victims” from a pre-cut opening in the water. The exercise was an opportunity for firefighters to practice with their ice rescue equipment. To prepare…

Tech Tuesday at South Perth

Students in grades one/two and three/four at South Perth Centennial School have been engaged in a program called Tech Tuesday for the past few months. Lead teachers Nicole King and Brenda Pincombe have been working with students on mastering three different technologies: Ozobots, Mini Spheros and Code & Go Robotics Mice. One of the focuses…

Paint the Town Red!

United Way Perth-Huron encourages local businesses to register United Way Perth Huron (UWPH) is celebrating #LocalLove this Valentine’s Day by helping St. Marys merchants Paint the Town Red (PTTR). The event, held February 14-17, encourages shopping locally, promotes participating businesses and highlights those that give back. “We’ve been very pleased with the results of PTTR over the last…

I Lost My Daughter at Disney

By Sheri McDonald I am a diligent parent. When they were small, my children had to hold my hand to cross the street or walk through a parking lot. When walking in crowds they needed to walk beside or ahead of me where I could see them. Naturally, when we registered them in the 2013…

Tribute to Michael Kennedy

On January 11, 2019, David Michael Kennedy died in Hamburg, New York, in his 69th year. Although recently, Michael has been a frequent visitor to St. Marys, only a few residents realize the impact he made on this community. Michael’s mother, Isabelle Chesterfield Kennedy was born in 1915, the daughter of James and Annie Chesterfield.…

Top 5 Reasons to Book with a Travel Agent

By Stonetown Travel 5. You’ve got better things to do than spend countless hours reading online reviews. Online travel reviews are extremely helpful when researching vacation ideas.  But the sheer volume of these reviews, their conflicting opinions, and the myriad of options available online can be overwhelming.  Professional travel agents can help eliminate the noise…

Update on Queen Street West fire

Charges have now been laid in regards to the fire on Queen Street West as reported last week. On Sunday, January 13, 2019 shortly after 11:00 a.m. the Stratford Police were called to assist the Fire Department at a fire on Queen St West in St Marys. The fire was extinguished and nobody was found…

Sonnet Writing in St. Marys

Submitted by John A. Cull The St. Marys Poetry Circle, under the devoted and encouraging leadership of Ione Grover, with extra assistance from Alizon Sharun, held a special meeting at The St. Marys Public Library on Saturday January 19, 2019. St. Marys resident, Heather l. Meakin, conducted a workshop devoted to the sonnet. Heather’s expertise,…