Community News from St. Marys and area.

Local winners of the annual Poster & Literary contest

The Royal Canadian Legion Perth Regiment Veterans Branch 236 St. Marys recently awarded the local winners of the annual Poster and Literary contest. Many of the winners and finalists gathered at the Legion on December 11 to receive certificates and prizes. Front row from left are Simon Greig, Adam Nelson, Charlotte Hodges, Brooke Hahn, Landon…

Women’s Doubles Exhibit opens January 11

Paintings by Deb Dicker and Sylvie Verwaayen St. Marys Station Gallery is pleased to showcase its upcoming exhibit ‘Women’s Doubles’, paintings by Deb Dicker and Sylvie Verwaayen. Deb Dicker is a mixed media, acrylic artist. She is well known for her pieces that experiment with texture, layers, paint and unusual materials. Often abstract in nature…

From Hong Kong to China, Valcke returns to Asia

By The IBA Baseball Reporter Zhongshan, China – Following a couple of treasured months back home in Stratford, Tom Valcke will be flying back to Hong Kong on January 7th, where he spent most of 2018 coaching their national men’s team.  Both parties knew that agreement would conclude on September 30th, 2018 as it was…

New distracted laws in effect

Hefty higher fines Because distracted driving has become the leading cause of death on the roads and highways, the Province of Ontario has introduced new laws to combat this problem. As of January 1, drivers who are caught using their cell phones or other handheld devices will be fined up to $1,000, get three demerit…

The Life of an Active Volunteer

By Christopher Swarthout In 2007, I was lucky enough to join a great group of people called the St. Marys Kinsmen Club. I do believe it was a life-long friend of mine, Ryan Harris, who approached me to “come out to a meeting to see if you like it.”  Well, I happened to love it.…

Close vote for cannabis stores

Not only did people vote but many had strong comments whether or not they wanted cannabis store(s) in town. Some voted with a ‘please” for the Yes vote and we had some “no way” on the No side. But in the end 87 people voted with 52% voting ‘No” and 48% voting “Yes”. It will…

Annual Salvation Army Toy Drive

The Salvation Army Toy Drive took place at Canadian Tire on Saturday, December 8th. Many generous people helped fill the police cruiser 5 times with brand new toys and gifts. Pictured, from left, are Nick Keating (Community Resource Officer) and Detective James Jardine. Nancy Bickell photos