Community News from St. Marys and area.

St. Marys not getting a cannabis store

Craft Beer and Food Truck event coming to Induction Weekend At their meeting on Tuesday Feb. 12, Council was told that St. Marys is not on the short list of municipalities that will receive an outlet that sells legal marijuana. Municipalities were previously given the opportunity to opt out of being a potential location for…

Ice rescue training at the Quarry

The St. Marys Quarry is more than just Canada’s largest outdoor freshwater swimming pool. On Saturday, January 26, 2019, local firefighters used the Quarry to conduct ice rescue training and pull “victims” from a pre-cut opening in the water. The exercise was an opportunity for firefighters to practice with their ice rescue equipment. To prepare…

Tech Tuesday at South Perth

Students in grades one/two and three/four at South Perth Centennial School have been engaged in a program called Tech Tuesday for the past few months. Lead teachers Nicole King and Brenda Pincombe have been working with students on mastering three different technologies: Ozobots, Mini Spheros and Code & Go Robotics Mice. One of the focuses…

Paint the Town Red!

United Way Perth-Huron encourages local businesses to register United Way Perth Huron (UWPH) is celebrating #LocalLove this Valentine’s Day by helping St. Marys merchants Paint the Town Red (PTTR). The event, held February 14-17, encourages shopping locally, promotes participating businesses and highlights those that give back. “We’ve been very pleased with the results of PTTR over the last…

I Lost My Daughter at Disney

By Sheri McDonald I am a diligent parent. When they were small, my children had to hold my hand to cross the street or walk through a parking lot. When walking in crowds they needed to walk beside or ahead of me where I could see them. Naturally, when we registered them in the 2013…