Community News from St. Marys and area.

Material change proposed in Grand Trunk Trail staircase project

By Spencer Seymour, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter The staircase connecting the Grand Trunk Trail to the flats and the status of its revitalization was the subject of a lengthy discussion at last Wednesday’s Green Committee meeting. Brought in to discuss the staircase project and answer questions from members of the committee was Asset Management and…

St. Marys Quarry opening July 6

COVID-19 protocols will be in place to protect swimmers and staff Swimmers will soon be able to make a splash at the St. Marys Quarry. Canada’s largest outdoor freshwater swimming pool is opening on Monday, July 6, 2020 following a delayed start due to COVID-19. A number of new protocols will be in place this…

Our newspaper and printing business is expanding

125-year-old Tavistock Gazette acquired By Stewart Grant Earlier this year, I was approached by Bill and Sheri Gladding of Tavistock as to whether I would be interested in buying the Tavistock Gazette, and I’m pleased to announce that we completed this transaction effective July 1st. The Gazette, which was first published in 1895, has been…

‘Gay Cheese’ book a slice of small-town life

By Stewart Grant As the fourth-generation publisher of the St. Marys Journal-Argus, Lorne Eedy is undeniably ‘in the know’ when it comes to understanding small town life. This includes having a true appreciation for the array of characters that comprise our southwestern Ontario community, and for the retelling or reshaping of unique stories that remain…

St. Marys Public Library hires new CEO

Sarah Andrews to start in new role on July 6, 2020 The St. Marys Public Library has a new Chief Executive Officer. On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 the Library Board announced the hiring of Sarah Andrews as CEO of Library Services. Andrews’ new role with the Library will commence on Monday, July 6, 2020. Andrews…

Celebrate Canada Day in St. Marys!

Wednesday, July 1 is Canada Day and despite social distancing, our town will still celebrate! The festivities have already started, as entries to the Virtually Delicious baking contest are on Facebook, ready for your votes. Artists of all ages can participate in the traditional colouring contest, found on page 19 of this paper. Drawn by…