On January 18, 2019 St. James Lodge No.73 had a special dinner in celebration of 160 years of Freemasonry in St. Marys, Ontario. The dinner event was held at the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 236.
The lodge was formed in 1857 and held its first official meeting in 1858. This of course, pre-dates the incorporation of the Town of St. Marys in 1863 and Canada’s confederation in 1867. This makes St. James Lodge the oldest organization in the community.
The first meeting was held at The British Hotel. This hotel was located just east of the present day Town Hall – where Tim Hortons is currently standing. The lodge has been held in several locations since then, including in the Hutton Block on Water Street, above the Bank of Montreal, and at its present location on Thames Road. The lodge is going to be moving again (just down the road) in order to assist the expansion of Vet Purchasing.
The lodge is enjoying a healthy growth spurt and looks forward to many more years in St. Marys and their new facility to be built in the next few years.
World-wide, modern Freemasonry celebrated its 300th Anniversary in 2017.
The Freemason motto is “Making Good Men Better”. #2B1Ask1 (To be one, ask one.)
Pictured are, Front row (l-R) VW Bro. D. Richardson, RW Bro. A Stewart, RW P. Mitchell, RW Bro. V. Hearn, Bro, R. Dill, RW Bro. S. Hearn. Back Row (L-R) Bro. B. McKnight, Bro. R. Stewart, W Bro. D. Stewart, W Bro. R. Sass, Bro. C. Anderson, W Bro. B. Cookson. W Bro. N. Primeau, Bro. A. Strathdee, W Bro. D. Dingwall, Bro. J, McFadden.