St. Marys Fire Department recognizes Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week

Residents reminded to have fuel-burning appliances inspected and install CO alarms

Ontario’s Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week runs from November 1 to 7, and the St. Marys Fire Department is reminding residents to prevent carbon monoxide (CO) in their homes by getting all fuel-burning appliances inspected annually.

“In Ontario, more than 65% of injuries and deaths from CO occur in the home,” said St. Marys Fire Chief Richard Anderson. “We want to make sure everyone is safe from CO. Get all fuel-burning appliances inspected by a registered contractor.” Residents can visit COSafety.ca to find a registered contractor.

The Fire Department also reminds residents to install CO alarms in their home if they have a fuel-burning appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage. Fuel-burning appliances can include furnaces, hot water heaters, gas or wood fireplaces, portable fuel-burning heaters and generators, barbeques, stoves and vehicles.

“You must have a working CO alarm adjacent to each sleeping area of the home if your home has a fuel-burning appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage,” said Chief Anderson. “For added protection, install a carbon monoxide alarm on every storey of the home according to manufacturer’s instructions.”

For those who live in a condo or apartment building with a service room, CO alarms must be installed in the service room and adjacent to each sleeping area of all homes above, below and beside the service room. In condo or apartment buildings that have a garage, CO alarms must be installed adjacent to each sleeping area of all homes above, below and beside the garage.

For more information about CO and to find helpful safety tips, visit the Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management’s website at Ontario.ca/firemarshal and COsafety.ca.

You May Also Like