This week in advance of Canada’s Agriculture Day on February 16th, the folks at www.agriculturemorethanever.ca narrowed down their top 10 reasons for celebrating Canadian agriculture, in reverse order:
10. The ag sector is a major employer. Ag employs over 2.3 million Canadians – that’s one in eight jobs.
9. We’re a trading powerhouse. Canada is the world’s fifth largest exporter of ag and agri-food products with over $50 billion in annual sales.
8. Family matters. We love ag for the life it gives our kids now and the opportunities it will give them in the future. It’s not just our livelihood, but our legacy – 98% of farms are family farms.
7. Ag plays a significant role in our economy. It contributes over $100 billion to Canada’s GDP each year.
6. We’re proud environmentalists. Ike Skelton once said, “Because of their connection to the land, farmers do more to protect and preserve our environment than almost anyone else.”
5. We love and care for our animals. We believe in responsible animal care and follow nationally recognized codes of practice for the care and handling of our animals.
4. Ag is innovative. Thanks to modern crop protection and plant biotechnology tools, we’re providing Canadians with affordable and high-quality food to feed their families.
3. We believe in quality. Canada ranks number one in global food safety performance.
2. We’re a trusted industry. A recent Canadian Centre for Food Integrity survey shows that consumers trust farmers more than any other group and 60% want to know more about farming practices.
1. We love what we do. Agriculture isn’t just our business, it’s our passion and our way of life. So, let’s be proud to share our story, explain where food comes from and how it’s produced, and reach out to those not in the ag industry.