Farm House lost in Mitchell Road blaze

Local couple lost all belongings


By Stewart Grant

Multiple local fire departments responded quickly to a house fire on Road 163 (also known as the Mitchell Road) near Line 12 on blizzardy Wednesday evening, but ultimately the home was consumed by the flames.

Many from our area will remember the property as the home of Grant Haven Farms, owned by my parents Murray and June Grant from 1974 until 1995. The farm was then sold to Glen Hawkins, and the Hawkins family continues to own the property and rent out the house. For my sister Lori and I, we have so many great memories of growing up on the farm and it is very saddening to hear the news about our childhood home.

While I’m sad for a home that I lived in half-a-lifetime ago, there is a local couple who lived in and loved this home as recently as this past Wednesday who lost all of their household belongings and precious family heirlooms in the blaze, and that is the biggest tragedy in a fire such as this.

The caring individuals at Glo Hair Salon are accepting donations for this couple. The couple has no more children living at home; the two of them occupied the house with their dog, a lab who thankfully was also not in the house at the time of the fire. In the caring spirit typical of our wonderful community, Glo Salon’s Facebook post had been shared over 60 times in the first 24 hours and many folks are pitching in to help with the couple’s short-term needs while things get sorted out with insurance.

A problem with the wood stove and the evening’s high winds appear to be the combination which led to the fire. Contrary to early reports published on Facebook from a Stratford paper, the fire did not spread to the barn on the property.

You May Also Like